Hello

My photo
Su Trindle is a British designer and maker of sculptural modern silver and resin jewellery. My favourite place to be is my small workshop in my garden. I work alone, singing along to the radio striving to create beautiful well-designed, contemporary jewellery and make a living at it. This last is important, not just to my creativity and ego but to help feed by boys and the dog.

Thursday, April 01, 2010

The Creative Process: How do you plan and organize for design?

Oh yes! It's time for the Etsymetal Blog Carnival. This month we're blogging about our creative process and our work spaces - I can't wait to see what my fellow jewellers have on their workbenches, are they neat and tidy or is there a weeks worth of dirty coffee cups?
I confess, I'm a sketchbook junkie and most of my designs are visually led. When I start a new design I always start with my heaps of magazines, books and postcards. I have a small moleskin in my handbag to record anything that catches my eye in a museum or gallery, and one by my bed for late night inspirations.
Then there's the one I work up my designs in, pictured here are my drawings for the etsymetal charm swap.

Oh, and I have my "Recipe Book" with a drawing and cutting list and notes on any design I need to reproduce frequently.
Then, I'm at college one day a week, so I also have a sketchbook, a design book, workshop book and design sheets which all weigh a ton and are full of references and  drawings - like the one here.

Well, something has to give,right?
So here is a picture of my bench, taken 5 minutes ago. I'm in the middle of making some new resin pieces which you can see on my main bench, and I'm making rings for "Ring a Day" at my soldering station.
This is such a personal place to me that it's hard to be objective about it. Everything  looks organised to me, but probably only to me.

Take a look at these other Etsymetal Jewellers' Blogs (let me know how tidy they are).

6 comments:

  1. its organized as long as you can find what you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And don't forget the 'can you see the floor' test. Always a good one for creative people! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can see the counter top! that means it's tidy as far as i'm concerned - am very impressed :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. why am i not surprised that you keep so many sketchbooks?! that is truly commendable! you have an organized mind- i can see that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks very organized to me! and I love seeing your sketches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so envy that you are great with your sketch book. That is something I strive to be better at. It is such a struggle for me.

    ReplyDelete