Hello

My photo
Su Trindle is a British designer and maker of sculptural modern silver and resin jewellery. My favourite place to be is my small workshop in my garden. I work alone, singing along to the radio striving to create beautiful well-designed, contemporary jewellery and make a living at it. This last is important, not just to my creativity and ego but to help feed by boys and the dog.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Alexander Calder Challenge - Part 1

Well, the challenge is where to stop!
The etsymetal monthly challenge for August was to make a jewellery piece inspired by the work of Alexander Calder, sculptor, artist, jeweller and and all round prolific talent. ( btw etsymetal is a team/group of like-minded metalsmiths)

mid-piece and sketches
Calder wire sculpture
I was delighted by his wire sculptures and this tempted me into making a wire sketch of my eldest son.

I confess, I don't feel at all comfortable working with wire, but I sketched a rough plan of a brooch, adding characteristic "Calder" spirals. Having  picked up my favourite pliers and a length of 1mm wire I was surprised how quickly it came together. I really enjoyed the spontaneity of the piece.

My finished sketch brooch.
After adding a hand forged steel brooch pin and tumbling it for hours and hours to harden the silver, this is my sketch pin. I hope I've captured a little of him, even if it's only his tumble of curls.

Find more Calder inspired work on the etsymetal blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment