The Alexander Calder Challenge - Part 1

Well, the challenge is where to stop!
The etsymetal monthly challenge for August was to make a jewellery piece inspired by the work of Alexander Calder, sculptor, artist, jeweller and and all round prolific talent. ( btw etsymetal is a team/group of like-minded metalsmiths)

mid-piece and sketches
Calder wire sculpture
I was delighted by his wire sculptures and this tempted me into making a wire sketch of my eldest son.

I confess, I don't feel at all comfortable working with wire, but I sketched a rough plan of a brooch, adding characteristic "Calder" spirals. Having  picked up my favourite pliers and a length of 1mm wire I was surprised how quickly it came together. I really enjoyed the spontaneity of the piece.

My finished sketch brooch.
After adding a hand forged steel brooch pin and tumbling it for hours and hours to harden the silver, this is my sketch pin. I hope I've captured a little of him, even if it's only his tumble of curls.

Find more Calder inspired work on the etsymetal blog.

Comments

Popular Posts